Cycle World Tracer 700 First Ride Review - Yamaha FJ-07 And Tracer 700 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cycle World Tracer 700 First Ride Review

Since it doesn't look like we'll be seeing the Tracer 700 coming to North America anytime soon, Ari Henning went to Morocco to get some time on it. Seems to be a great small touring bike, that provides immediate torque at any rpm. Looks to be an ideal bike, for my wife considering how lightweight it also is (432lbs wet). Guess we'll have to hold out a little longer to see if it finally makes its way across the ocean.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM

It looks like for whatever reason the YouTube link was deleted, but it looks like its still available on dailymotion. Can't believe how far this guy travelled just to get the opportunity to properly road test this bike. Is there any indication of what's causing the delay in its NA release?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:25 PM

One problem they found was how softly sprung the Tracer 700 is. The rider 5-foot-11 and 175-pounds. While some people may not weight that much, add on come cargo, maybe a jerry can and you'll be hitting that limit too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

This bike was never intended to do much hauling, and there are plenty of better alternatives out there if that's what you plan on using your bike for. It was designed to be much more compact than the average sports tourer, with a focus on range and efficiency. The windscreen does seem to be pretty lacking, but that's easily swapped out. No idea what the U.S delay is about.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM

Yeah this is a commuter bike first and foremost, designed with new and smaller riders in mind. Its extremely light weight design makes it incredible manageable, and I would imagine quite peppy as well. Still can't believe two years have past since it was first reported to be coming to North America.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I mean at this point it might make more sense just to get a used 900, but I was really hoping to get something a little less powerful for the misses first new bike. I guess Yamaha doesn't see much demand for this model in the U.S. Don't know why they bothered to indicate otherwise.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Yeah this is a commuter bike first and foremost, designed with new and smaller riders in mind. Its extremely light weight design makes it incredible manageable, and I would imagine quite peppy as well. Still can't believe two years have past since it was first reported to be coming to North America.
You'd be surprised to see how many people buy bikes that exceed their needs. A friend of mine owned a GSXR1000 for the better part of 4 years to commute, as soon as the CB300 came out, he got one and that Gixxer started to collect dust.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Well I think a lot of people are coming over to adventure bikes purely for the better ergonomics, whether that be new riders or veterans. And entry level bikes have really stepped up their game in recent years, as evident with the new Ninja 400. I've seen a whole host of experienced riders who are purely going to track that bike.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Well I think a lot of people are coming over to adventure bikes purely for the better ergonomics, whether that be new riders or veterans. And entry level bikes have really stepped up their game in recent years, as evident with the new Ninja 400. I've seen a whole host of experienced riders who are purely going to track that bike.
Well overall they are the perfect medium regardless of how you look at it with power (smooth power delivery), ergos like you mentioned and the longevity of ownership terms.

I personally know riders that have owned adv bikes for many years but during the same time have been short term owners of purpose built bikes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Ask anyone who owns a bike. Once you've got one, it becomes easier and easier to add to the stable. You get into this mindset that each bike has its own unique purpose and before you know it you've got a full garage. Luckily adventure bikes can serve a bunch of different needs, and I think that's why we're seeing so much interest in them lately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJ-07 And Tracer 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page